Friday 7 September 2012

Kitty and The Midnight Hour: Carrie Vaughn

"Kitty Norville is a midnight-shift DJ for a Denver radio station - and a werewolf in the closet. Her new late-night advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged is a raging success, but it's Kitty who can use some help. 

With one sexy werewolf-hunter and a few homicidal undead on her tail, Kitty may have bitten off more than she can chew
?"


Alrighty, let me cut my teeth on this one. Virgin review.

I should have hated this. It's fluffier than a pair of extra fluffy pink bunny slippers. The blurb makes it sound a whole lot better than it actually is. It's just the usual Vamp v Wolf clan situation. The late night phone in show? Sounds cool but in reality it ends up being daft, which is a shame. The show's premise is great, but the execution is really weak. Standard Paranormal Romance fare for the most part here, Hot Werewolf falls for Hot Werewolf Hunter. Yawn.

But the thing is...daftness aside, I found this to be quite nicely written. Vaughn made me guiltily have fun here, and although my logical brain was well aware this is essentially drivel, it was enjoyable drivel in places and I made it through to the end.

It reminded me a little of a Paranormal'd up Stephanie Plum novel. If that sounds like your thing, you'll have fun with this.

Would I read any more in the series? If I was off on holiday and needed some brain-ease, sure. Ordinarily? doubtful.

No comments:

Post a Comment